Top left: The Parish Church, Top right: Tandle Hill Country Park
Bottom left: Royton Park, Bottom right: Royton Town Hall and Library on Rochdale Road
Tandle Hill Country Park
Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council | Greater Manchester area map
Tandle Hill Country Park is a 110 acre site which offers a mixture of open grasslands, wonderful mature beech woodlands and superb panoramic views across the Pennine Hills, Manchester plain and beyond.
The name Tandle Hill means "fire hill". This is very appropriate as Tandle Hill was the venue of many fiery political meetings during the early nineteenth century, connected with the Peterloo Masacre at peters Fields, machester in 1819. Local radicals used to practice marching and drilling here and eventually the beech woodland was planted to prevent this. Tandle Hill was then used as a hunting park as part of the Thornham estate.
Tandle Hill was donated to the people of Royton by the late Norris Bradbury Esq., JP, as a peace offering after the 1914 - 1918 war and was officially opened on 6th September 1919 "So the park can be used for people's enjoyment and freedom for ever".
Tandle Hill was formerly designated a country park on 1st July 1971 and was one of the first such parks in the UK.
Photographs: Oldham Chronicle and Leisure Services Dept, Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council
Text: Leisure Services Dept, Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council